I like secrets. We all do. Tell me something that nobody else knows and I feel special, and for some very strange reason empowered. I also like to keep secrets. I just figure it’s for me to know sooner than others for some reason; and not my job to share the secret.
But, there is one I really need to tell you. And – you need to know it.
I have been listening to the news about the bird flu recently. And, I have heard two different numbers associated with deaths due to the bird flu. One report stated six; and another reports eight deaths. My gut tells me they may not know the real number since the deaths are taking place in the Far East – Thailand and Cambodia. But, I understand the concern about a pandemic; it’s a major world-wide health issue because it’s spreading so fast.
Okay, that was not the secret.
According to the American Diabetes Association, there were 231,404 deaths in the United States in 2007 which listed Diabetes as a factor leading to death on the Death Certificate. Yes, Diabetes can lead to death. In fact, it’s the 7th Leading Cause of Death in the United States.
Deaths among People with Diabetes, United States, 2007
- Diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death based on U.S. death certificates in 2007. This ranking is based on the 71,382 death certificates in 2007 in which diabetes was the underlying cause of death. Diabetes was a contributing cause of death in an additional 160,022 death certificates for a total of 231,404 certificates in 2007 in which diabetes appeared as any-listed cause of death.
- Diabetes is likely to be underreported as a cause of death. Studies have found that about 35 to 40 percent of decedents with diabetes had it listed anywhere on the death certificate and about 10 to 15 percent had it listed as the underlying cause of death.
- Overall, the risk for death among people with diabetes is about twice that of people of similar age but without diabetes.
You have to look for this information, which makes it kind of secret. It took months for it to register with me. Take a look at the last bullet point above…a pretty grim secret.
I hope you are still with me, because now is when it gets truly amazing and the secret is revealed. Based on the number from 2007 – 231,404 – the following is true based on averages:
- 634 Deaths due to Diabetes EVERY DAY, Seven Days A Week
- 26.4 Deaths due to Diabetes EVERY HOUR, 24 Hours a Day
- One Death due to Diabetes EVERY 2.27 Minutes of Every Day of Every Week of Every Month of Every Year.
That is a very grim secret. We don’t see it in headlines. We don’t hear it being blared from the news. We don’t see reporters agog (I have never used that word in a sentence before) and shocked over that kind of statistic. Therefore, I assume it’s a secret.
But, those statistics do not have to remain true. You can fight Diabetes. You can go to war and win. People are doing it everyday. If you have read some of my posts before, you know how – I don’t keep that a secret – Diet, Exercise and Meds. That’s it. That’s how you win your War On Diabetes.
Break the cycle. Live longer. Don’t become a grim secret statistic. You CAN do it.
As always, thank you for reading…now act, please.